Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CJ8 to M170 Conversion, almost :)
Rollbar
post Nov 27 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #1

Senior Advanced Member of the Forum

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

This is what I am building. Converting a 1984 CJ8 to a 1955-1964 M-170 Ambulance/Troop hauler (most of the way).
Front Line Ambulance Truck M-170 is designated as a special equipment vehicle as defined in AR 700-105.

I sprayed the engine, tranny & T-case with one can of 23070 OD. It's cold out so there is a little sheen to it because it's taking longer to dry. I am going to order more paint on Monday and start on the tub, I will give you before & after pics.

Before:

Before: Yes that's a Holly 650 double pumper.

After: I think I have some stock valve covers for the 360, I have to look in my inventory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I got the new Fording Kit for the M-170 build, the hose is on the way, it will be here shortly.

I did not seperate them yet but the black pipe is the air hose support pipe. The green pipe is the Fording pipe. The cap is for the top of the hose. All are NOS-New Old Stock.

HERE is how/where the rear tail pipe hooks up to go under water:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here it is, the snorkle hose, heavy duty. That old cloth fabric sure does feel good, no plastic here folks.

O.K. The frame is done, (it may have a little sheen to it, just painted but it drys fast). It took 2 1/2 cans & waiting on the primer to do the tub.
I sanded the black rustolem w/a scotch bright pad & got rid of the gloss. The pad took it down very well & the paint sticks great. I love this OD paint, touch up is a breeze.
The pics were took in the garage under floresent lights & w/a flash, the paint should look different out in the sunlight.
Next I'll work on the axles & springs.

Well here are some more pics of the conversion, note the front spring hangers, these were in the rear but I'm using the rear springs up front. I even welded a brace on each side for strength, cheaper than the ones they sell & probably as strong. I built a set of springs for the back. I used yJ Sky Jacker spring & added some leafs for towing, towing air bags will be in the future, maybe. The tire carrier you see mounts on the roll bar of the Jeep, I think it will look good mounted w/the Military tire on it.

Here U go:

Well heres the front bumper & bumperets, the bumper is bent just a little but I'll replace maybe in the future------> Freeeebeeeee, nothing, nada. Next is the steering column, dash & axles.

Well my new stainless brake ($$) & fuel lines are here w/the clips. The $146.08 fuel line (w/clips) is (5/16") the darker looking stainless w/the blue caps on the ends. I just bought the line from the tank to the pump since I won't run a return line. I bought the fuel line from In-line tube & the brake lines from Quadra-Tec.

Getting there,

P.S. All the other stuff (NOS parts, lights etc.) are in transit, I'll post pics when the stuff gets in.

Well the shovel w/bracket, side mirror w/bracket, rear view mirror (in box), Tail black outs & front black out lights, front lifting shackles w/pins, chains & mounting base & reflectors are in. YAAaaaaa. :2thumup: :dance1:

Pics below:

Well look what I just bought on eBay for $46.00/55.35 w/shipping.

Now I can realiy go underwater, :sneak: . For those of U who have K&N, tongue1.gif whistle.gif :biggrin1: j/k.

P.S. I have to find or make a air filter for it now. Any ideas? :scratch:

Here is the sellers comments:
This is a very nice and straight M38A1 air cleaner. There are no dents and the paint appears to be pretty good. It needs to be cleaned off though. This one comes with all the parts you see attached to it in the pictures. The inside looks new. These are commonly missing from M38A1s but if you looking, I guess you know that.
I have a bunch of other M38 and M38A1 stuff up for auction, I'm cleaning out my parts collection since I just picked up a new toy and need the room.

O.k. got the filler hoses from *--*- & all the SS lines are installed. Just finished installing the steering box w/the shaft after fighting the front shackle. If U look at the previous post w/the shackles U will notice I used a gusset on each side of the shackle, well it works fine as long as the steering bracket is left off. U can only gusset the outside of the shackle so the bracket will fit. I had to grind one side off but I did weld the bushing housing to the backing to make it stronger.

I used the rear of the stock shackle & I cut the old front CJ ones off to make a spacer so I didn't have to grind off the rivet.

Now I did buy a pair from JCW for the rear that were gusseted (if that is a word) but they are allot thinner metal & cheap. So use the rear up front & buy or get a set for the rear.

I have pics but I am working on my NEW album from my NEW host so I will have to post them here later.
Hopefully I can get the tub on next weekend (trying to get moved) so I can move my project to my NEW warehouse which will be for my NEW site etc.

P.S. It steers, :biggrin1:

O.K. here's some pics, paint still kind of wet & it looks like I missed a couples of spots but that's O.K. I'll catch it later.

The panel just arrived, notice how the top edge is not rolled into the door seat but it is stepped into the door seat, (meanning where the door hits & seals). The top right inside door seat of the stamp is correct, just not the bottom of the door seat.

I bought it to cut it up & use for filler pieces on the 8 so I'm not worried about the door seat, I just wanted to point it out to those who might purchase one. I did over lay it on the body & it is very close.

P.S. Notice where it was made, :2thumup: . At least it wasn't made in China
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Twelth Monkey
post Jan 19 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

I believe that you can get replacement air filters at any auto parts store. The Mite takes a Wix filter that fits into a very similar type of filter housing.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 19 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Thank you, I did not know that, I'll check.

P.S. welcome.gif

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 10 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #4

Woreout8 donated a set of 6mo old Super lift springs (2.5") & so they were installed them on the rear (SOA)(might need a step ladder to work under it smile.gif . Here are some pics of the height of the frame ONLY :shock: & the finished install of the rear pack/shocks. The frame is sitting on 33's. :scratch:

:scratch: look where they R made. Tranny Doc should like that smile.gif

We will be building a set of rock guards later on w/a step. Oh, did I mention, adding the body to this measurement would make the top of the rear of the Jeep 5' off the ground plus a 1"BL. It should setting some, I hope. There is a 12" load spring to help when I tow the camper. I hope it doesn't crack the spring where the load spring ends, still contemplating whether or not to leave it due to that reason.

Oh no, I just realized I didn't prime the shocks & then OD them. Jim is gonna have my tuercas.

=======================================

Ok, I went on Tom Woods site to get some info on the DS angles etc. (as U can see I'm using his business card w/the scale on the back of it smile.gif ) I have a cardan joint DS out of a J10 (kept in stock) which is to short for the rear so I set the original CJ's rear DS in place w/out the U-J cups just to see where I'm at. T-Woods says, If you do have a substantial lift on the vehicle, you may want to consider a double cardan (CV) drive shaft since with a conventional two joint drive shaft you need to keep the output of the transfer case & the pinion parallel within 1 degree, and in relationship to either the drive shaft should be running at absolutely no greater than 15 degrees (this is a pushed limit). If you cannot fall within this parameter, then you will want to pitch the differential so that the pinion points directly at the output of the transfer case (maintaining 3 degrees, or less, a joint angle at the differential end) & use a double cardan (C.V.) drive shaft.

So here is what I have (w/out the cups but it's very close, I guess I could put them in but this is just preliminary). 14-15* on the stock set up. The pinion is almost parallel to the t-case & the DS is almost fully collapsed. (looking for a flywheel for a 360 so I can mount my T-176 back in, donations excepted smile.gif )

Can't find my dial indicator sad.gif

I do have a 1" T-case drop kit in stock but hate to use it.

I also have some 6* shims.

Maybe I should just go w/the 2.5 SUA & the 1"BL @ least that is what the rest of the family is suggesting.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 10 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #5

Here's my son sanding down the shocks so they can be painted OD green so JimB would have a cow w/the white ones smile.gif

Here's the old man tightening down a shock.

More to come.

Just a note: had to re-convert to a the SUA (picks when the camera gets new batteries), the War Dept's troops said it was to tall. Oh well, at least everything will go back easier. When my dial indicator comes in I will check the outers for the degree that they are setting & if need be add shims to obtain 4-6* of castor with 6* being the optimum.

P.S. I have a pretty good color scheme coming up for the axles that might look good. I have to paint them before the tub goes on. What do you think about this.
1. Outers=Black
2. Tubes=OD
3. Pumpkin=Black
4. Steering=OD
5. DS=Black

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 11 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #6

I measured the height of the total finish and the top of the 8's rear bed would have been @ 5 feet w/the 2.5" SOA. I'm not getting any younger so the kids twisting my arm said that it would be better off lowered. So the plan still stands w/the 2.5" seen below & the 1" Day-star BL I have in stock. I think it will be plenty high for me & I can go most places in the South East. It did cut down on expense & build time. I just wish I could come up w/a Flywheel for the 360 so I could mount my clutch, then my DS would not have to be shortened on one end & lengthen on the front. If I do do it, I'll do a write up on it. Since I bought the kit a year ago I might as well replace the seals on the D-300 since it started to leak. Easier to do it now.

So, here are some pics of the 2.5" frame only w/yJ shackles w/6* shims in the rear axle (I do have the big long ones but...........).
Next, brake lines paint then the D-300 re-seal, gear swap, DS & get rid of those shinny V-covers & put the stock one on painted black.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 12 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #7

OK, took the Dana 300 off the T176 today to re-seal it from the PO. Below are some pics.

Remove shifter and shift plate for twin stick

Remove D-300

D-300 on the cooler

Rear of T176-clean

Removing front yoke nut

Removing yoke w/my steering wheel puller-sorry, all I had

See, I told you it would work, slid right off

Front seal leaking

Remove pan to drain it quicker

Funky stuff, looks like it may of had condensation or some H20 in it

Not any more

Shift rail holder & bolt

Removing aluminum housing to replace seals

Blue loc-tight on shift rail bolt

Aluminum housing re-attached & sealed

Super 300 on the housing where the seal is going to prevent leaks

More super 300

Super 300 on the outside edge of the shift rail seal

Tap shift rail seal in w/a piece of conduit (thick wall), make sure U hold it straight, I cocked the seal but drove it home

Super 300 on front yoke seal & aluminum housing

Grease the front yoke seal rubber & the outside with super 300

Remove & clean front yoke rear bearing cover & shims

Put super 300 on the T-case then install one shim & more super 300, then the last shim & super 300 on the cover.
NOTE: Do not use RTV, it might set the tolerance off on the shims.

Clean bolt threads & dab some blue loc-tight & install cover

Install T-case back on T176-put grease on the output seal of the tranny.

RE-install in the reverse order and follow the torque spec & you are good to go. Sorry, didn't have time to document it.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 16 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #8

Well, I took the portioning valve apart & cleaned it up, have to go to Lowe's to get two bolt so I can tap the frame (trying to make all my bolts/nuts American standard).

The fluid came out a little rusty but clean.

BTW-it cleaned up well, thanks Ian.

I painted the plate w/Galvanized primer then flat black & then OD green.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 21 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #9

Well, the SS hard brake lines are installed. Next, the soft rubber hoses.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 22 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #10

Ok, I moved the brake lines so they wouldn't be in the way while backing. I will fine tune them later when I install the brake hose's.

Here are some pics of the underside of the CJ8 tub. Getting ready to clean/prime/paint.

Rear:

Middle:

Front:

Whole tub:

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 23 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #11

Look what I found in one of my boxes, thought I lost it.

Tub rusted areas sprayed w/Metal ready. Now, the directions do not say, but do you rinse the M-ready off. I don't think so. Hummm,

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 23 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #12

One Qt of Por-15 painted w/a brush.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 24 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #13

Well, I used up all but two spray cans of the 23070 OD from Gillespie's, still have one gallon of 23070 OD left, two spray cans & one gallon of the Red Oxide left. Had two get my money's worth even if I spent it three years ago. smile.gif I could have enhanced some of the pics but I wanted them left as is.

Enhanced version:

Taping the holes two days after the Por-15 & paint job. Yes, those couple of holes in the floor pan are for historical purposes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 24 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #14

OK, here it goes. Need a little help here.

I took out the filler cause I was looking @ options as far as mounting the military lights. As you can see, there is plenty of room if the filler is moved to the side of the Jeep. Now, if I don't move it, the light on the filler side will not work (veryyyyy tight, maybe, doubt it) unless I mount it outside & just through bolted it (look like :fan2: ) to the tub, it would stick out just as far as the stock (oh, no) square tail lights.

Below are some pics of my meaning.

Don't rag me about the paint job, remember what Dave said. smile.gif

Now, it will fit up in there a little more, the plastic housing is holding it back.

The gas lines run through this hole. Also, look @ the fillers metal, where it mounts to the plastic it is ROUND smile.gif . I could get rid of the plastic housing & just hole saw the outside & mount it using an old style cap. Second thought, just hit me this second, if it is there & I hit some trees etc. .......... Maybe to much to worry about.

Showing the metal rib on the right of the plastic housing.

See, there is room up in the triangle section.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 27 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #15

Well sanded, primed & painted the Sway bar tonight. I also tweeked the twin stick brackets for a final fitting (had to weld a bridge & re-grind one) tonight, primed & paint them as well.

Twin stick brackets-fit like a glove.

Note: All OD will be touched up @ final inspection.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Jan 28 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #16

Mock up of twin stick (maybe could use one more washer but I have to think about it), I tried the bushing as per the write up on this forum but it seemed to go easier w/washers. I also used the old pins for the shift rails as the others were short calling for a 3/4" (really needs to be about 1 1/4"-1 1/2"Max by the time you get the washer/loc-washer/nut on etc.) I will not bend the shifter itself until the tub is on & I see where I want it. I did have to open the hole where the pins go on the flat-stock as they were tight. If you used the flat-stock dimensions (I recommend you do) you will need a Dremel to fine tune it but you will be happy with the results.

Twin Stick Post

Mock up of the sticks.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Mar 7 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #17

Got the gas tank painted & installed. 1985 factory 20 gallon polly tank.

Sender

Top of tank-vents

Tank prepped/cleaned & painted w/Red Oxide

Tank painted w/23070 OD

Tank installed

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Mar 19 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #18

Trans cooler to add to the build-Hayden 1404 complements of TransTech (5410 W. State Road 84) in Davie, Florida 33314

Thanks Dino good.gif

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Mar 19 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #19

Received my reconditioned 3 core radiator today thanks to Bobby (CoolBeans) and his radiator guy.

Thanks CoolBeans good.gif

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 8 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #20

Installed the trany lines and plumbed in the gas tank. Ready to set the tub on Saturday.

Mounted the lines on the motor mount for easy removal & they are far enough from the exhaust manifold.

Tank plumbed in. Ran vent line through the frame to the front/charcoal canister. Covered the S-Steel lines to prevent chaffing.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 9 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #21

Rear brake hose installed

T-case vent line installed

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 11 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #22

Well thanks to some of the CCJ club, the tub was installed today along with the 1" daystar BL. Sorry I couldn't get more involved pics but someone had to do something smile.gif Next week, prep/paint.

Scott had to weld the two rear nuts inside the frame, when tightening, they spun.

Looks like I need to do some touch up painting, in the end of course.

Notice the Twin Stick and the notch cut out, just enough and the original cover will still fit like original.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 13 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #23

Well, removed some surface rust, use por's metal ready, primed the bare spots to prevent more rust, sanded and wet sanded the tub. Next I will go over some shiners & the prime the entire tub with Red Oxide Primer.

Welded tailgate & primed it

Sanded & ground the tub's rust spots

Getting ready to "Metal Ready" the tub's rusted areas

Wet down driveway

Primed bare spots after wet sanding

Sanded outside of tub

Wet sanding outside of tub

Primed bare spots after wet sanding

CJ's RULE smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 21 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #24

OK, the prep is done for the U-POL Raptor spray in bedliner. I have to wash it tomorrow morning and then tape it off/spray it.

Below are some pics of the POR-15 applied.

Bulkhead

Backside of windshield hinges

Windshield mounting locations

Front cowl. This will stay since it is behind the dash etc.

Drivers side door jamb just above the joint

Bulkhead joint and side walls done

Bulkhead installed

Now here is where I sanded the tub w/180 grit and hand sanded/buffed the tub w/a red Scotch pad per the U-POL instructions. I added the 180 grit, wanted the stuff to stick as good as it can.

Tomorrow I wash the tub, air dry it, tape it off and spray smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 22 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #25

Taping tub off for Raptor bed-liner spray

Taping off the bolt holes etc.

Shooting the Raptor. IMO, a lot better then the roll on liner for the ease of application/looks

First coat shot and out in the sun to bake

Having fun

Touch up out in the sun so I could see better

Finished, removing tape

Jr removing some tape

Jr removing the tape off the foot of the roll bar

Tub complete

Tub complete, sorry about the camera angle

OD color contrast on how it will look when completed

Ok I'm tired and I am very please w/this product. Prep was 180 grit and then followed up by a red Scotch pad. I wanted it really scuffed due to some of the POR-15 used and old paint on top of paint. Way to easy w/the spray on. I had the compressor @ 120psi and regulated the spray @ the gun. I did some test shots w/just air w/the compressor set @ 50psi to get the feel, then raised the compressor and adjusted @ the gun. Worked out well and when I changed bottles I just unhooked the air line to keep the consistency for the next bottle. After the first coat & stuck the gun in some lacquer thinner and shot until the gun was clean. Waited an hour while it bakes in the sun & shot the last coat w/the main object concentrating on the bed since it will take the most abuse. So, how does it look? I'm sure it will pop when the OD gets on there. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 23 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #26

Fenders & hood sanded

POR-15 on lightly rusted areas

POR-15 on battery tray, hood support, vacuum can, jack plate & fender supports

Since I am doing OD & black I think the black accents under the hood would look good.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 24 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #27

Washed everything down for final paint

Taped off ready for final paint

Jr. putting on the final tape touches

Testing spray gun pattern

Painting hood

Grill painted

Roll bar painted

Hood & bumper painted

Fender painted, need final coat on the inner panel

Painting tub

Waiting second coat-this stuff drys fast in this heat so I waited about 30min

Applying second heavy coat

Tailgate latches OD

Final paint now drying

Installing rock guards later so they will hide the damaged spots & I fill /soaked them w/POR-15

Roll bar foot sprayed w/U-POL to blend in w/the bed-liner

Underside of hood, note the black accents w/POR-15

Look at that sweet CJ grill, just as happy as can be

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 27 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #28

Battery tray painted w/POR-15

Vacuum can & jack plated painter w/POR-15

Protection plate

Steering shaft installed

Fender braces mocked up

Front clip installed

Front turn signals painted (will install military lighting later when I have time to figure it out)

ROUND headlight bezels painted

Lights installed in the grill

Note: all hardware is stainless steel, nuts, bolts, washers, loc-washers.

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 28 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #29

(NOS) WWII snorkel parts painted

(NOS) WWII snorkel mast re-painted

(NOS) WWII snorkel mast mounted with stainless steel bolts

Roll bar bolted in with grade 8 bolts which will be touched up with black paint

(NOS) Reflector location

(NOS) Snorkel nose being straightened

+Quote Post
Rollbar
post Apr 29 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #30

Snorkel installed

Final hose placement

Measuring for cut out

Cutting hole, note the safety gear

Trimming fender lip, gotta love the guard on the cutter

Trimming fender edge with a file

After many times of raising the hood for fitment we have finished. I know the front is supposed to have a "S" shape but I wanted it close.

Front snorkel & clip

Jr getting the wiring sorted and cleaning up the parking brake connector

Under hood wiring

Jr getting the dash stripped for paint

Dizzy pigtail from PO

Dizzy pigtail from PO, notice the green wire on this tail

Dizzy pigtail from factory harness

Wiring under hood

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic